Thursday, August 12, 2010

Stripper Wear, Exit Stage Left

And as quickly as it came in, out goes Lucite. Or so I believe.

The clear acrylic, which debuted in the 20s and has long been considered stripper fare, enjoyed a brief renaissance on the runway for Spring 2010. Am I the only one who's still loving Lucite for fall? Apparently not.

Check out these links:


In the mid-to-early 90s, I lusted after chunky-heeled Lucite pumps, but as a preteen, my parents considered me far too young to wear heels. I thought of Cinderella every time I saw my sister or mother don a pair, so mournfully, I would pull on my magenta suede saddle shoes and dream about wearing huge platform heels someday. I did catch the end of the platform/clog phase in high school, but by the early 2000s, Lucite was out, but stripper fashion was in.

The popular girls pranced around wearing silk tops with racer-back spaghetti straps and denim mini-skirts. I wore Abercrombie and Fitch wind pants with tiny tank tops and thought I was cooooooool.

It seems that for the moment, the "polished" girl is back. Sheath dresses abound, and Mad Men wannabes litter the fashion killing grounds. I found this change welcome a few seasons back, so why am I hoping for something a little dirtier this season? Am I jumping the gun, or is it time for trashy to make a triumphant return? Give me slashed up, tattered, too short, brazen, loud.

Fine, fashion, go all mature and demure for another season. I'll be busy bringing skanky back.

*slips on a pair of Lucite heels with matching bracelet and lets the wind hit her unkempt hair*


-K

P.S.
OMG WANT

No comments:

Post a Comment